Saw this on the Soil Health Institute newsletter today:
The Soil Health Institute (SHI), a nonprofit organization created to safeguard and enhance the vitality and productivity of soil through scientific research and advancement, seeks a Chief Scientific Officer (CSO).
The CSO will be responsible for:
- developing and establishing scientific direction, strategy and implementation for the Institute research programs;
- leading scientific research and coordinating projects conducted with partnering institutions that advance soil health science and result in useful and reportable outcomes;
- writing grant proposals and ensuring projects are designed to create tangible, mission-oriented outcomes aligned with the Institute’s strategic Action Plan;
- negotiating grant awards with institutional grant recipients;
- coordinating and working with principal investigators to advance research projects;
- leading multi-disciplinary (i.e., basic, translational, and applied) research;
- leading and serving as a liaison to assigned Working Committees/Action Teams;
- establishing and coordinating a Science Advisory Committee;
- administering measurement standards and coordinating research peer reviews;
- leading expansion and ensuring relevance of the Soil Health Research Landscape Tool;
- furthering positive collaboration across the soil health community;
- and other duties, as assigned.
A Ph.D. in an agricultural science discipline with at least one degree in soil science is required. A Ph.D. in soil science is highly preferred. Experience managing large scale, well-coordinated research efforts is preferred. The position is located at the Soil Health Institute’s office near Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. Compensation to be commensurate with experience. To apply, please email a letter of application addressing the experience required and responsibilities of the position, along with a curriculum vitae, copies of all college transcripts, and the names and contact information of four references to Mr. Byron Rath: email@example.com. Please include “Chief Scientific Officer” in the email subject line. First review of applications will begin September 17, 2018. The position will remain open until filled. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.