Design Data? (follow-up from today's HCD breakout)

I was mulling over today’s Human Centered Design breakout meeting and it occurred to me that one possible lens for looking at all the issues we discussed is to think about design data; by that I mean, the data which is required to formulate and execute on a given design. Whether we’re talking about user feedback, feature requirements, budget numbers, or even our own mockups, I realize it can be helpful (at least, for me) to think of it all as different forms of data, which can inform the decision making process. And so like any kind of data, we can ask certain questions about it:

• How do we capture that data and guarantee its completeness?
  • How do we organize and structure that data?
  • How do we clean, filter and process that data?
  • How do we make that data accessible and actionable to the user (ie, ourselves)?
  • Or, to get totally meta, how do we design a system for handling this design data in its own right?

I’m not sure if this is helpful to anyone else, and I guess it’s just a re-phrasing of the same idea(s) we’ve already tread upon, but perhaps we could work towards answering some of those questions within the specific context of OpenTEAM, with special attention to how all that can be achieved in coordination with the hub farms (keeping in mind the idea of “survey fatigue” that Kita or Greg mentioned).

Anyways, that’s my 2 cents. Looking forward to picking up the conversation tomorrow!

3 Likes

Without knowing anything about the HCD breakout, I quite like the list. I need to write something about an ISOBlue project that we ran in the Netherlands, the list actually helps me in structuring the content I would like to offer in the report.

1 Like

@AnneFarmHack, that’s awesome! Glad someone else found this line of thought applicable to their process. :slight_smile:

Hi. My background is economic and business. I have been working to develop open collaboration to beat ¨the blind competition behaviors (system)¨, and to your list I would add some other questions to frame the whole collaboration:

• what is the need that we want to solve and how do we ensure, in advance, that ¨the innovation¨ will serve future users?
  • Who are giving and working to create value and contributing to solve ¨the need¨?
  • How do we measure openly the value of each contribution?
  • Who are capturing the value or how do we reward to the contributors.?

Many of us talk a lot about openness and transparence, but the simple basic questions above are very diffuse.
One proposal to face these questions is here. But of course it has to be improved and proved. Would you like to work on this open collaboration set of rules. The rules are very simple. The complex issue is unmask ourselves about our real motivations and desires… I am pretty sure that if we solve these issues, the collaboration will flourish…