First RFC Lab Residence - ML on soil chromatographies (Looking for collaborators)

We are very happy to announce that the first Residency at the RFC Lab is happening on mid July. Leandro from National Cuyo University from Argentina is going to visit @gbathree to run around 400 soil chromatographies from the RFCLab soil library. As you know, these samples have already been tested for several parameters like organic carbon, mineral content, and surface reflectance with the Our-Sci reflectometer. in the context of the Real Food Campaign
For those of you not familiar with the method, circular chromatography (Pfeiffer Chroma-Test), is a qualitative method used in biodynamic agriculture to assess the quality/health of soil, biofertilizers and crops. This method has been widely used by Jairo Restrepo and other groups to discuss the green revolution and to promote and assess organic agriculture.

The idea of this residency is to use the dataset (chromas+standard test) to work on a quantitative proof of concept. We will apply image analysis tools to read/extract the colors, patterns and features of the chromas and then use machine learning algorithms to correlate this results with the standard tests data. For this part we would love to have the advice/help of some ML experienced person!!

This is a follow up from the chroma workshop made at GOSH Shenzhen

There are a few previous considerations about the ML point this previous thread of the GOSH forum.

More info and experimental plan of the residence here.

The fresh outcome of the residence will arrive just in time for GL GOSH so I think discussion will continue there!

Please feel free to pin anyone who you think might be interested on this

1 Like

i would like to collaborate if possible, what apparatus would i need?

Hey Tom - This link is where we’re at so far in terms of what’s needed.

More info and experimental plan of the residence here.

If you want to collaborate and come do a residency, let me know and we’ll figure out a time and space and all that. If you want to collaborate in your own lab on the soil chromatography piece from your own location… what do you have (in terms of equipment/space/etc.) and what are you interested in?

If that’s too much work or beyond what you have available - we may be able to determine more accessible next steps better after Leandro and I have written up conclusions from this residency.

1 Like