I’m particularly interested in hacking on some software for the Tracking ecosystem service goals challenge area. With so many potential use cases tracking different goals and variables it would be useful to give some thought to what similarities and abstractions could be drawn across these multiple use cases. This would inform the requirements for software supporting these efforts and help determine to what extent a single framework could be used for tracking different types of goals with different variables.
Ensuring that a farm is supporting a healthy ecosystem requires tracking of sustainability goals. These tools would target variables such as soil health, carbon sequestration, biodiversity, etc.
This language brings to mind a few different motivations for creating such software:
- Support an individual farm to discover, implement and track progress towards ecosystem service goals
- Support a community in collectively working towards ecosystem service goals, tracking individual progress and sharing knowledge (what does/doesn’t work)
- Help incentivize these goals by connecting farms & data to the growing number of carbon and ecosystem service markets.
We won’t accomplish all of this in the hackathon but I think we could make some great contributions towards identifying generalized requirements for such software and perhaps even develop some initial implementations. It’s important to demonstrate what is possible with our open source tools and community!
I’m thinking of a project that might have the following “core” and “optional” components depending on interest. This project would really benefit from non-coders too, especially those with experience thinking about ecosystem services!
- (core) Identify 3-5 ecosystem service goals to focus on for this project. Explore these goals more in depth to identify key variables, variability, outcomes, complexities, etc and discover similarities across all goals.
- (core) Give some thought to representing these goals in data - can we create a general schema? What structures are required?
- (core) Hack on representing and exporting this data with farmOS Metrics
- (optional) For a select 1-2 ecosystem service goals, mockup a UI that explains the goal, displays current status, potential features for recording progress. Perhaps consider this in the context of farmOS Plans?
- (optional) Demonstrate how existing GOAT/OpenTEAM tools can be integrated with and contribute to this process?
- (optional) Create an app that aggregates farmOS metrics and displays goal progress for multiple farms.