Introduce yourself to OpenTEAM!

Hi all! I’m Britt Lundgren, I lead Stonyfield’s work on organic and sustainable agriculture. If you’re not familiar with Stonyfield, we’re an organic yogurt company based in southern NH. My work focuses on both agricultural sustainability and government affairs.

I’m part of OpenTEAM’s secretariat and am leading the Hub Farm working group. I’m also working within Stonyfield to look at how we can use OpenTEAM with the farms that provide our milk and other ingredients.

My background is in both science and policy. I’ve been at Stonyfield for 9 years, prior to this I was working on agricultural policy (farm bill & climate) for Environmental Defense Fund in DC.

I’m really excited to see this community coming together and get started on bringing OpenTEAM to life!

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Steve Rosenzweig, soil scientist at General Mills. I lead regenerative ag research and program development in our key sourcing regions to help meet our commitment to advance regenerative ag on 1 million acres by 2030 and our goal to reduce GHG emissions across our full value chain 28% by 2025.

Prior to joining GMI 2 years ago I did my PhD in Soil and Crop Sciences (with a little sociology mixed in) at Colorado State University.

The topics at the top of my mind today are:

• How can we measure soil carbon, GHGs, water quality so cheaply that we are able to run a viable ecosystem services market? I am heavily involved in the soil carbon research for ESMC
  • How does regenerative agricultural management impact soil health, insect and bird biodiversity, and farmer economic resilience? GMI has an outcome-based definition of regenerative ag that requires us to be able to measure improvements in those key areas, so I’m working on technologies and methods for quantifying those outcomes cost-effectively at scale.
  • How do we drive adoption of regenerative ag? Using social science to design more effective programs and better target investments in agricultural sustainability.

Looking forward to connecting with you all. It was great hosting the on-farm sampling methodologies working group at our HQ earlier this month. We’ll have to do it again sometime.

Steve

2 Likes

I just realized I never introduced myself here!

I’m Ankita, assistant professor at Purdue University, and I run the Agricultural Informatics Lab. My research and development is in human-centered design, information modeling, and software engineering, for increased resilience in food and agricultural systems.

I’ll be working on developing human-centered design capacity for openTEAM members, designing and developing utilities like the Plant Data Service as well as farmer decision-making tools. I also work with the Precision Sustainable Ag team on Cover Crop Decision Support Tools and with the OATS team machinery data interoperability.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I’m Philip Sheldrake. I work with the AKASHA Foundation on the application of cryptonetworking “for good”, and pursue a PhD in Web Science at Southampton University in my spare time … more of a journey than a destination :smile:

I spoke recently with @dornawcox about FarmOS and OpenTEAM and GOAT, and about a project I’m leading, Open Farming, and he invited me to jump in here and introduce myself.

Open Farming replaces monopoly rights (intellectual property) exerted under legal code in agriculture with revenue share under software code. This has — we believe — lots of beneficial consequences, especially in terms of value flows, recognition of those fundamental resource implications that have been (mis)labelled externalities to date, and what the P2P Foundation refers to as cosmo-localization. It shares many of the characteristics of a platform co-operative.

I look forward to learning more about GOAT, to meeting many of you, and learning about your projects.

3 Likes

@philip ooo sounds really interesting. I’ve been getting more and more interested in land coops/collectives since listening to https://www.farmtotaber.com/ and learning about efforts such as Sylvanaqua farms https://www.sylvanaqua.com/

Looking forward to hearing more about it

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Question about device

Hi Guys,

I’m Oli, a grape grower based in South Australia, and one of the founders of Platfarm We’re working to help growers carry out smarter work on their land, simply using their mobile phone.

We also organise AgTech Meetups to help bring farmers and other ag professionals together with developers and start-ups

We are keen to help make GOAT happen in Australia, as we really feel that something similar needs to be happening over here

4 Likes

Hello everyone. I’m Leah and I am the new research coordinator at Wolfe’s Neck Center for Agriculture and Environment in Freeport, Maine. I will be working closely with the different tools as one the OpenTEAM hubs. I have been working as an agricultural researcher and farmer for the last 9 years and am thrilled to be a part of this group. Looking forward to continue our work together.

4 Likes