- RasPi/Arduino hacking
- Swarming robots
- Datalogger vs Micro for quality data monitoring
- Robots as data sampling tool
- Robotics for new farming methods - particularly cotton
- Jack: I want to be able to add sensors to platform that goes into a field and captures data
- Jane: robots for Ag
- Ned: Drones
- Ken: Tractor based sensor systems
- Ian: Field data collection is often error prone - robots will probably take over and do better job
- On farm automation - even a greenhouse temp control is a sort of robot
- Pi vs Arduino vs Datalogger vs…
- Linux system vs microprocessor with no OS
- Appeal of linux system is importing existing code, more intensive data analytics
- Different levels for different tasks
- Start with a Pi for prototyping, migrate to arduino for actual implementation to save power etc
- Datalogger - only logs, doesn’t respond to input but that’s changing…?
- There’s a missing open versitile and flexible data logger
- There’s a missing std sensor protocol
- Automation of greenhouse temp control?
- Pixhawk: See DYI tractor automation forum threads on ardupilot/diydrones
- open Source Ag group - Matt Droter
- Peralax sold a hexapod system 10yrs ago, what’s happended to that ?
- Does ROS have a role as a data capture pub-sub framework if extended with useful nodes and formats?
Swarming for Ag
- A swarm of smaller scale robots that fit inbetween plants that could roam 24/7 for eg:
- weed control via cutting (which also provides free mulch), reduced soil compaction for various task, precise inter-seeding, access after crop has gotten too big for tractor etc
- Eg ROWBOT maybe http://rowbot.com/
- A swarm could enable wide scale simultaneous data collection
- An Ardupilot plugin that allowed auto gridding missions based on distances rather than GPS would make field work more efficient (think place drone down and it covers a 10x10 1m grid regardless of its starting point and without having to make each mission
- Air quality
- A ground drone or a rover and a mast?
- Increasing interest in using animals to carry sensor platforms especially in inaccessible areas eg: volcanic activity/clouds/etc
- ROS for data sampling: baked into robot community, convert to json, speals MAVLINK (what Ardupilot speaks)