UK Farm Hack 2019 - Call for Contributions

hackathon
workshop

UK Farm Hack is back…Do you have a burning idea that needs to be out there? We are looking for 3-4 project work streams for the weekend hack.

We are in the planning stage of organising a Farm Hack in South Oxfordshire for August 2019. All projects will be following the Open source P2P model (e.g. creative commons, GNU etc…). The project should be small scale, replicable and solve a need of small-scale agroecological farmers/growers. We aim to have a prototype/first iteration to show people on the Sunday by the end of the weekend event.

If you have a project you’d like to pitch, maybe an idea you’ve been working on but need some others skills to complete, get in touch by 31st March and ideally come join us for a planning session in 13th April.

The site is off grid we will have some 12v electricity we look forward to get creative on how your prototype could be built!

Just to clarify we’ll have 240v power too

Hi All. When visiting Tyddyn Teg cooperative during 2018 LWA AGM I saw a wheelbarrow re-purposed into a flame weeder. The gas bottle sat in between the handles (the bucket had been removed) and a strut went across at a 90 degree angle from the wheel of the wheelbarrow to another wheel the other side of the bed with flame jets along the strut. This meant that you could walk in the path whilst flame weeding the bed and you could make it to fit your bed size. Hopefully the picture attached makes some sense.

All the best

Becca

Hi Becca,

Yeah, I remember that - seemed it would take all the effort/hassle out of scorching weeds to death! Do you want to come and prototype it?

Cheers,

Garethe

Yes that would be good. I don’t know how to weld but am up for learning.

All the best

Becca

Awesome! I’ll PM you to sort out the details.

G.

I saw that too, it was great! Here’s a photo

I’ve been planning to work on a design and make some TLUD (top lit up draught) stoves. For cooking and making biochar to add to my compost heap.

I’ve previously made a few stoves-

one that made biochar and had an open source design.

https://www.appropedia.org/Forest_biochar_rocket_stove

As part of travellingtoolbox.org.uk/ I was involved in the build of a pair of Champion TLUD stoves.

http://travellingtoolbox.org.uk/2015/11/24/biochar-stove-project/

The TLUD I’d like to build would have no/minimal welding, have a longer burn time, and make more biochar than these champion TLUDs

I’d quite like to build a vacuum seeder. Seems fairly straightforward.

Another build: