This is a wiki post - you should (?) be able to edit / add directly!
Hi all - @mstenta @tibetsprague and @TomWatson are working on creating an farm-level (not granular field-level) specification for the Ag Data Wallet concept in OpenTEAM, specifically in this case for the Farmer Coffee Shop benchmarking service.
Anywho, we’ve been discussing weather and soil data and what would be useful to include in the farm profile information (ie NOT field specific - assume you get the farm address or a single central farm location - not field coordinates).
How would this get used? To clarify with use cases:
- I am a farm benchmarking service and want to compare the most relevant farms to each other. I want to allow farmers to specify farms with similar soils (classes) or similar weather (average rainfall, temperatures, heat degree days…).
- I am an analysis tool who wants to generate average values across common areas, or insights / recommendations across a subset of weather / soil types.
Any other user stories?
Is Walt’s post below, “I am a farmer looking for other farmers in a similar situation” a user story?
Example data could include:
- top 3 main soil orders, nearby 10 miles
- annual rainfall
- annual solar intensity
- heat degree days
- hardiness zone
- overnight low/high, daytime low/high
- frost-free, first frost
- (walt) use Köppen Climate Classification system or maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trewartha_climate_classification.
- (anders) Soil survey to get HEL classification, average slope, etc.
- (anders) Flood likelihood rating
when filtering, what would a farmer know / know what to filter by?
- soil texture
Any existing lists of info like this?
Any good ideas of what to include?
Add your ideas here plz! I’ll update this page (make it a wiki page) as info comes in.