GOAT 2020 - What do YOU want to do?

GOAT 2020 has been disrupted… ooooobviously. And we’re aren’t sure if the organizers or attendees have the time to do a full-on virtual conference. So…

Would you like to spend a few hours every few weeks with other GOAT community members and NOT get COVID-19? But you can have COVID-19 and still participate #asymptomaticIsOKVirtualOnly :slight_smile: .

We’re thinking about having events scheduled by community members through the next few months. This would help us lead into GOAT 2021 and keep our community thriving!

What type of activities would you attend virtually over next few months?

• Webinars
  • Tutorials
  • Topic-specific Hackathons
  • Topic-themed Happy Hours
  • Werewolf!
  • Debates!
  • Coworking sessions

0 voters

How long can you stick around per event?

• 1 hr
  • 3 hrs
  • 5 hrs
  • 8 hrs
  • Multiple days

0 voters

How many events per month feel OK to you?

0 voters

Wanna organize an event?

• Yes I do!
  • Maybe
  • Nope

0 voters

Ideas? Topics?

Please post below with formatting ideas and topics you’d want to run or attend. We’ll follow up once we get some responses - we’ll push this out to the GOAT newsletter and GOAT 2020 applicants and go from there.

posted by your friends @gbathree @sudokita @julietnpn @jgaehring

I’d also be interested in werewolf, but could only choose 5 activities. :grin:

I’m not great at debates, but would attend one depending on the topics. Can we nominate people? Are we talking debate teams?

Regarding tutorials, etc., I think both tools-based tutorials and process-based tutorials (e.g., HCD processes) would be excellent.

2 Likes

I think a really cool topic would be the potential applications of peer-to-peer (P2P) and local-first technologies in agriculture. I’ve been really curious about these technologies, especially local-first, but haven’t had much time to explore the possibilities in my day-to-day work. I’d be interested in hearing other people’s thoughts about how this kind of tech might or might not help solve certain agricultural or sustainability problems, what people think of the ethical implications of this tech (eg, how does local-first complement/build on other FOSS principles?), and firsthand experiences using any of this stuff in the field already, if anyone has.

I can’t find his handle to @ him, but I think Don Blair would be interested in this too! :wink:

3 Likes

I would LOVE some hackathons! Happy hour and coworking sessions sound great too. In general it would be great to connect with folks a couple times a month in a less formal way than planned events and webinars.

A regularly scheduled GOAT happy hour might be a nice way to bring new people into the community too :slight_smile:

This is good work, thanks.
I believe thus is the time GOAT is needed most. I a time like this when food security is not there. Where so many are hungry, and after this pandemic, most countries are going ti be faced with food shortage.
Agricultural Technologies should start thinking of agric products improvement ahead now, so we won’t be facing hunger after covid 19.
Thanks.