Jobs, collaboration, funding, freelance, etc

Here is the place to post any opportunities for people to do open ag tech related work.

• Know of a job opening? Share a link. (job)
  • Are you looking for a job? Let us know what you are looking for. (jobsearch)
  • Possible funding source? Give us the low down! (funding)
  • Want to collaborate on a project? Share your thoughts. (collaboration)
  • Available for project-based or freelance work? Share your skills and availability. (freelance)

To help people find things, tag your post using the tags (in parentheses) for each type of opportunity.

(job)

Hey guys,

This came to my inbox a couple of days ago. I share it in case anyone is interested in Ph.D. research on Machine learning, sensors, crop models, imagery, etc. in the UK.

Cheers,

Rafael

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Dear colleagues,

I currently have two open opportunities for PhD students to join my group at the University of Manchester to conduct research focused on the:

(1) Design and assessment of intelligent irrigation management tools using machine learning methods, smart sensors, and crop models in collaboration with Netafim (https://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=91278).

(2) Application of machine learning, smartphone and satellite imagery, and crop modelling to assess and manage weather-related risks to smallholder agriculture in collaboration with the International Food Policy Research Institute (https://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=97932).

I would greatly appreciate if you could circulate this vacancy with any potential candidates that you might have within your network. For informal discussions about the position, candidates can contact me via email.

The deadline for applications is 30 May 2018, and full funding for 3.5 years is available on a competitive basis for UK/EU students.

Best regards,

Tim Foster

Tim Foster, PhD
Lecturer in Water-Food Security
School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering
Room B14 | Pariser Building |
The University of Manchester | Sackville Street | M13 9PL

Summary

This text will be hidden

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please help spread the word on an exciting new position with CAFF’s Small Farm Tech Hub. The position is based in Fresno, CA and the application deadline is Feb 26th.

Full job description and instructions on how to apply can be found here: CAFF JOB: Small Farm Technology Advisor - Community Alliance with Family Farmers

This position will focus on the use and development of appropriate farm technology best suited to the needs of small acreage farmers, including but not limited to; open source, grassroots agricultural technology and innovation, tools adapted to agroecology, digital, software, hardware, on-field production tools from hand tools to robotic carts, etc. Special focus will be dedicated to the topics of data and technological sovereignty, prioritizing farmer-led technological solutions and traditional knowledge, and local challenges experienced by farmers in the Fresno region. This position will play a key role in helping CAFF and the Tech Hub to address the vast disparities related to accessing resources and best-fit technologies for California small farms. This position will help to build out a program that supports an emergent socio-technical ecosystem orientated around agroecology, strengthening local and regional economies, and contributing to a growing innovation commons.