Yah, and 2-5 minutes isn’t very long!
Imma do a quick talk about the Open Food Network too!
Put your link in the Miro Board:
Took some notes I figured I’d share. Sorry Laurie and Elizabth I wasn’t quite warmed up yet for your talks!
- sanding the ceiling
Elizabeth Vaughn (Community Alliance for Family Farming)
- 2023 small farm innovation challenge, deadline Nov 1
- small farms respond to data sovereignty
- Prosocial: transdisciplinary socialtechnology
- Atkins, David Sloan Wilson, Hayes
- can be useful in addressing “tragedy of the commons”
- ARC process?
Marcus Estes (Chroma Signet)
- track-and-trace (barcode)
- using the data to make knowledge graphs
- NFT’s: inviting people into a data coop
- DAO’s in practice
- driverless farm vehicles
- grew up on farm, but studied CS
- robot people talk about the goal point, zig-zagging is ok
- farmers need to go in a straight line
- data collection vs hardware for doing actual farming
Laurie Wayne (OFN)
- 10th b-day in Oct (first commit)
Aaron Kingsbury (U of Maine?)
- Potential for Open Ag Tech in Northern Mountainous Region of Vietnam
- small scale vs intensive industrial farming
- many ethnically diverse people, many languages
- higher elevation, the higher the poverty level
Shreya Agarwal (Digital Green)
- farmer-to-farmer extension videos
- lots of data, but farmers weren’t really aware of it or able to access
- decent datahub
- farmer data wallet
- p2p data connectors
- Q: what incentives are there right now?
- Q: is now the right time?
Rohan Clarke (Regen Farmers Mutual, AU)
- Regen Farmers Mutual
- experience w/ coops, mutuals
- how to create value from environmental assets?
- farmers aren’t ready to do that with data yet
- what is the environmental asset?
- digital twin (ag data wallet)
- aggregating farmer value, give farmers more flexibility and capacity to farm more effectively and sustainably
Tica Lubin (Regen Network, US)
- Brazil, Cambodia
- creating additional income beyond the farm product
- credits on blockchain
- understanding what data is collected
- find ways to sell credits
- finding other incentives beyond carbon
Ned Horning (Regen Network, US)
- DeSci (Decentralized Science)
- postdocs finding new ways to do science
- outside traditional publish-or-perish model
- FAIR data principles
- Ecosystem Regeneration
- looking for people who want to form community around the science
Shefali Mehta (Open Rivers)
- podcast: Open Rivers Navigator
- Season 3 on AgTech
- Why hasn’t open source moved more in the last 20 years?
- What decision makers (eg, USDA, gov’t) wants vs what communities (eg, GOAT) want are at odds
- decision makers don’t know what community knows
- decision fatigue
- no clear incentives for gov’t
- climate work driven by fear and not making things worse (not a great motivator)
- can one person just shut it all down?
- Problem: decision-makers don’t know what it means when we say “We need to invest in data”
- getting info to consumers via story-telling
- info comes directly from data-validation entities
- NFT’s as a way for consumers to engage
- all producer-generated
- folk-art, etc
- Working now with hub farms working w/ OpenTEAM projects
- can be a storytelling component of your project
Ankita Raturi (Purdue axilab)
- axilab (Agricultural Informatics Lab)
- HCI x Agriculture
- Design (tech) to accomondate human needs (farm stakeholders), capabilities, etc
- design, modeling, engineering, community
- what are the mental models people are already carrying around?
- can that be put into code?
- working w/ communities of practice, supportively not disruptively
- Northeast Cover Crop Council
- Informatics for Community Food Resilience
- How to eat when COVID???
- teaching, working w/ students
- talk to students here at GOAT, get them interested in what you do
- Team Days (ie, days 4 & 5)
- axilab team is available to help as methods consultants, extra hands, etc