Lightning talks for GOAT 2022

Hey did you sign up to do a lightning talk at GOAT? Good for you! We can’t wait to see it! So you know these are very short (2 - 5m) talks about whatever you want.

Please post your topic here so we are sure to have a spot for you. If you are going to use slides, please drop them in our special Lightning Talk Folder™ and if you run into a problem doing that send them to goatech.org@gmail.com before Saturday.

Did you not sign up? No problem! It’s not too late! Post what you’re going to talk about and upload your slides, or just decide at the last minute and sign up at the conference and do your talk without slides.

1 Like

Hello Human Being! You have a human body, and it’s really smart just like the rest of you! Sometimes it’s good to reacquaint your body with your brain, especially when your brain needs oxygen. I’ll show you a couple of simple and fun exercises to tickle your neural pathways, get your blood flowing, and just generally unlock a little of your innate wisdom and happiness in case you ever need them.

1 Like

I can talk for five minutes about my experience with driverless ag. vehicles.

I don’t like to use slides. I usually run a YouTube video in the background. Is that feasible?

2 Likes

Hey @kylerlaird - we’re hoping to gather up AV stuff so we can put it all on one computer and not be worried about network connections. Can you download the video from YouTube at all, and we can play it during your talk?

1 Like

Hello all. I would like to speak for a few minutes on small-scale farming in the Northern Mountainous Region of Vietnam (where I do a lot of agricultural research and teaching). I am particularly looking for individuals with open tech soft/hardware solutions that wish to trial their innovations and ideas in these communities.

1 Like

Hey Aaron, I’m interested in joining your talk to learn more! Kindly check out https://www.litefarm.org/ and let me know if it’s a good fit for your needs. We’ve got about a dozen users in Vietnam right now. We don’t currently offer a Vietnamese version of the app, but we’re always looking for local partners to provide quality, locally contextual translations =)

Hello! Yes, I can give a lightning talk on the Small Farm Innovation Challenge we are hosting! https://caff.org/caffs-2023-innovation-challenge/ I can share for a few minutes. If there is extra time I can play a 5-7 minute YouTube video highlighting one of last year’s winners.
Cheers, Elizabeth Vaughan

1 Like

Hello from Maine. Yes, I would be very interested in chatting with you. See you soon, Aaron
P.S. A long time ago, I did a MA at Simon Fraser (and spent two years working on an organic farm in Abbortsford :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Hi! I’m interested in talking a bit about the work that my team does in precision ag. We basically develop low cost open source tech for data collection that can be used on farm by researchers and farmers. We are also developing an open source weeds image repository for the US and the tech and data pipeline around to support such enterprise. Our research focuses mainly on cover crops and weeds.
I’ll put some slides together and share before Saturday.

1 Like

I’d like to give a talk on a software platform called Chroma Signet that uses an open source barcode standard to gather research data from the regulated cannabis supply chain.

1 Like

Hi all, I’d love to share how we’re supporting small scale farmers in Asia and Africa by helping digitize data for farmer organizations which when shared can inform improved advisories and unlock better more targeted market/ financial services. We’ve developed an open source data sharing software called FarmStack to help orgs exchange data along with a data wallet that helps farmers control and use their own data.

1 Like

Hello From Nebraska, I am interested in finding partners for developing “Open source scalable robotics and mechanized systems framework for all”

Santosh Pitla : https://bse.unl.edu/faculty/santosh-pitla

Hi! I’d like to do a brief introduction to a new open source social technology being developed by the non-profit Prosocial World and its partners, that can help groups and groups of groups work together more effectively toward shared goals. Based in part on the pioneering work of Nobel laureate Elinor Ostrom around commoning, Prosocial’s “ARC Process” can be applied to a variety of contexts.

The Terran Collective used elements of this process in the collabathon they did with OpenTEAM and the Regen Network, developing a Community Platform for the Future of Regenerative Agriculture on hylo.

I’ll be leading a proposed discussion later in the week exploring opportunities for further applications of these and other tools, including the collaborative and equitable development of multi-functional value chains and foodsheds.

1 Like

Would like to do some lightening on a feeling lately I have regarding AI and comparing its inventions with the ‘first voice’ of human storytellers. It is mostly about my ambivalence created by the shockingly ‘organic’ tone of machine ‘thought’ and just sharing doubts combined with an irresistible fascination.

2 Likes

Such great topics! Remember if your topic is longer than a lightening talk (2-5 minutes, wow that’s quick) you can use that time to interest folks in a longer conversation as a full session (or part of one) or even just over lunch!

1 Like

Yes! To second @laurieWayne we’re going to lovingly enforce pretty short talks here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Remember - the goal in the lightening talk is to explain just enough to entice interest and further discussion.

T-minus 3 days :rocket: :goat:

Hi - I’m posting for Tica Lubin, who will do a speed talk titled something like: Regen Network – rewarding global ecosystem regeneration

Ned Horning and Sage Shelton will do a speed talk titled: ReSci Network – A nascent community of scientists supporting ecosystem regeneration

I’m keen to do a 5-min intro into the Regen Farmers Mutual approach to building farmer owned tech, advisor and funding. Deck loaded into the folder :slight_smile:

Will there be any opportunity to give a live software demo during a lightning talk?

Nevermind, I just dropped a bunch of screenshots into a deck and uploaded it into the Drive folder. Who loves a live demo anyway? :wink: