Hi all, just following up after Tuesday’s tech call. I’ll at mention a few people there @dornawcox @Gregory @mark.easter @meghanmize @mstenta @sudokita @clevinson @plawrence @lpuro @ldemmel.
PS this is wiki editable, feel free to improve my intro here
What to do
Post things you want to work on in year 2 OpenTEAM. Think of things that:
- lots of dev’s would like to have / use
- lots of users (farms, supply chains) would like to have / use
- helps share data and/or resources in a productive way (1 + 1 = 3 type thing)
Respond / Like things posted by other
- help build interest around the best shared work
I’ll post my thoughts as a starting point - please share yours too!
Research Farm Roadmap 2021 ideas!
How we generated this list
- Went to partners individually, asked what they wanted to see
- Created cross cutting ideas + features based on feedback from our individual use cases
Push / Pull Ecological Data from farms
After discussion with Point Blue, they have an immense amount of ecological data across the US from fish/wildlife service and about birds - it would be great to know + have available across the community standard data collection method from them (these questions, this method, etc.) so we can use that as a standard offering for farms who want to monitor ecological data.
- Point Blue -
- Can we create a set of norms to push data to you from farms?
- If a farm wants to collect standard ecological data, what’s that standard form look like?
Dashboard Tool Development
- Point Blue - they also are creating a shiney or related dashboard for analysis - also looking for low-effort onboarding to access their database.
Digital Coffee Shops
We’re already working on this in some other grants, many active partners. The concept is described here: https://gitlab.com/our-sci/mockups/-/blob/master/features/Coffee%20Shop%20concept.png, but the basic idea is creating a space (a ‘digital coffee shop’) for farmers to share semi-anonymized information in small groups to see practices from similar farmers. This kind of transparency w/ intent would allow better strategic decisions on farms, identify who’s doing well / not doing well, etc.
- Allowing farmers to actively share with each other
- Operationalize that data - that means modules in farmOS - certifications, etc. etc.
JS Utility Voice to Text based on fixed set of answers
better communication of data in the field. Makes real-time data input possible, improves data fidelity and quality, reduces survey fatigue.
JS Utility - data --> arbitrary PDF --> data
input / output tool to handle arbitrary PDFs.
- input / output arbitrary PDFs
- allows users to define the areas within the PDF where data should go, which data
- allows users to define areas within the pdf where data should be pulled from, which data
This addresses the following applications.
- Certifications (especially organic, but also GAPP and others)
- Interactions w/ soil testing labs (upload pdf --> machine data)
- Generating PDF forms from SurveyStack
- farmOS (GAPP, Organic certification)
- Point Blue (paper survey --> electronic)