Program organising group Farm Hack Thames Valley 2019

Thread for the group organizing the program for Farm Hack Reading

Detailed weekend programme
More readable/displayable short programme

Three broad streams are:

  1. Build Projects:
    At the moment these look like being:

Links to design pages for these to follow.

A draft working document for build project leads is available here.

  1. Problem Solving/Project Design
    Termed “Farm Hack Triage” by the US groups. An open space for problem discussion & early design work (build requiring materials is better partially planned in advance).

  2. Future Farm Hacks
    A series of seminars and discussions on how we’ve gone about organising this hack and how it could be done differently in the future. We hope to inspire attendees to organise their own hacks over the coming months/years.

Hi guys - i’ve had a quick go at drafting an outline for the programme for the three days. No real content yet but just the framework… check it out here:

In summary what i was trying to do was:

  • Propose a skeleton framework for the programme
    • Create space for 4 project work streams
    • Suggest timings, venues and venue capacities
    • Create streams devoted to
      • Skillshares/seminars
      • Open space
    • Underline opportunity to
      • Reproduce FH (one of the skill shares)
      • Reflect on the process
      • Forward planning/next steps

Hope that makes sense - feel free to edit/suggest changes directly into the document (there a comment feature which might be useful for this)


Hey Chris,

Thanks for doing that, looks great.

Was wondering if you’ve had any thoughts about budget for program related stuff?

I’m thinking travel or material costs that we may want to cover for people providing stuff for the program. This could get quite big if we are going to cover travel for people for people coming from further away.

Theres the potential to cover a lot of the expenses via grant funding, but we need to get a draft budget together in the next couple of days, in order to put in an application to the fund we we have been looking at.

Brief meeting minutes from today’s meeting:

Key action points:

  • CM to continue reaching out to experienced hackers for advice on collective tool development/design - ALL - IF YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS DONE THIS PLEASE GET IN TOUCH
  • CM to draft communication to ‘project leads’ - starting conversation about material/process needs; reminder of FH ethos/approach
  • ALL - next meeting in two weeks - GH[?] - to set up on dudle? (@RaggedStaff)
1 Like

Hello Darren and Chris,

Sorry I haven’t been involved up until now but would like to be much more proactive from now on.
So as promised I will start to list some workshop ideas to get an idea of what we would like to see;

hot wire bed cutter
charcoal making
rocket stove construction
traditional greenbroom bed making
geodome construction
making a cob oven
making a dehydrator
solar hot water workshop
pond digging and pumping water with solar pv
foraging walk
fungi walk

there’s a few ideas to be going on with…

i might contact off-grid to see if they know of anyone at a loose end to do a workshop.
there is also hardwick estate who may have some ideas.


Notes from the programming meeting yesterday

Where/when do we set up the screen printing kit to allow people to print FH logos? Will this be a discrete workshop or can we have it set up somewhere throughout the weekend?

I have the kit, but not 100% sure how to use it. It might be good to have a specific time to run a workshop, as its a bit messy and needs someone who can screenprint to get good prints done

Hey guys - we recently updated the programme draft - thoughts much appreciated:

Things to note:

  • New ‘triage’ process (collective, ad hoc problem solving)
  • Updated build project titles
  • New skillshare/demos/workshops

This is the inspiration for the flame burner wheelbarrow.

I propose buying two of these and constructing a frame for them to sit on and holders for two gas bottles in the wheelbarrow. Also I need to create a hood over the area being flamed to increase efficiency of the burn.
Any suggestions or ideas gratefully received. Becca