2023.11.15 Monthly Community Call @ 9 am Pacific Time

GOAT Monthly Community Call, 15 November 2023

Date: Nov 15, 2023
Time: 9am PT, 12pm ET
Meeting Link: Social Co-op GOAT Gatherings room .
Calendar: Calendar – GOAT

Agenda

1. Recent Road Shows:

2. Future Roadshows

3. GOAT Traveling Conference Box - A megathread

4. Community review of the GOAT 2024 funding proposal

5. Hiring a community organizer; strategies and next steps

6. Call for a 5013c non-profit organization to serve as fiscal sponsor for GOAT 2024.

Attendees

Juliet, Jamie, Vic, Mikah, Anna, Ankita, Paul, Marcus, Laurie, Autumn

3 Likes

NOTES:

• Purpose of the roadshows:
    • more exposure of our tools
    • teach people about open source / open data
    • learn what folks need
  • Short of a large donation / sponsorship, no exhibiting at EcoFarm. Some of us will attend (Anna, Juliet, Laurie).
  • Unknown about PASA exhibiting. @gbathree @nat may know if OpenTEAM + Our-Sci intend on going?
  • Non-Profit Fiscal Sponsorship:
    • https://nmccap.org/ (Suggested by Marcus)
    • Software Freedom Conservancy (suggested by Jamie and Laurie)
    • OFN, but they don’t usually fiscal sponsor and it would be a non-trivial amount of over head.
    • Regen Foundation (suggested by Paul)
  • Provide feedback in the funding proposal today! Need to submit by end of week.
  • Next month we’ll refine the Community Organizer job description, but earlier feedback is ideal!

[09:00] Welcome to Gathering of the Herds: GOAT Meeting Space!Dial in number is (34)932208649.SIP dial in URI is 309817102@sip.de.meet.coop.Confrence PIN is 72821.Dial in support is being piloted. See forums for details.This service is provided by The Online Meeting Co-operative.
[09:00] To invite someone to the meeting, send them this link: Gathering of the Herds: GOAT Meeting Space
[09:03] Juliet (she/her): 2023.11.15 Monthly Community Call @ 9 am Pacific Time
[09:03] Vic Spindler-Fox: eating my lunch while we talk :smiley:
[09:04] Juliet (she/her): 2023.11.15 Monthly Community Call @ 9 am Pacific Time
[09:07] Jamie (he/him): was it windy?
[09:10] Laurie: yay thanks! Is a tent a farmers market style fold up canopy thing?
[09:11] Jamie (he/him): bring on the EZ-UPs!
[09:13] Jamie (he/him): not to brag, but I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to banners, tents and tables in outdoor settings :wink:
[09:14] Laurie: maybe we trade the box for a case
[09:15] Anna Lynton (openTEAM): I am thinking about eco farm. Esp if other goat folks are going :slight_smile:
[09:15] Jamie (he/him): oh! hi Marcus! great to see you again!
[09:19] Laurie: super good point, Ankita! finding people we wouldn’t find otherwise
[09:20] Juliet (she/her): GOAT Traveling Conference Box - A megathread
[09:20] Vic Spindler-Fox: *forum compost
[09:21] Jamie (he/him): “megathread” ← false advertising! got my hopes up :stuck_out_tongue:
[09:22] Ankita: you should see the ridiculous amount of thread in my proposal write up shortly :stuck_out_tongue:
[09:22] Jamie (he/him): oh I suspected you were holding out on us!
[09:24] Marcus: Hi Jamie, hi everyone!
[09:25] Jamie (he/him): https://sfconservancy.org/
[09:26] Paul W: Regen Network’s foundation, maybe?

Regen Foundation is a Delaware 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that governs the EnDAOment program.
[09:26] Ankita: Call for a 5013c non-profit organization to serve as fiscal sponsor for GOAT 2024
[09:28] Marcus: About - New Mexico Community Capital (NMCC)
[09:29] Ankita: https://docs.opencollective.com/help/fiscal-hosts/become-a-fiscal-host
[09:30] Jamie (he/him): are fiscal sponsor and fiscal host the same thing?
[09:31] Jamie (he/him): and is there a place to search for them through OC?
[09:31] Jamie (he/him): that’s what Software Freedom Conservancy does
[09:31] Jamie (he/him): to Laurie’s point
[09:34] Marcus: “There is no real difference between fiscal hosting and fiscal sponsorship. In the US you’ll likely see the term fiscal sponsorship used. However, in the UK you’re much more likely to see it called fiscal hosting.”

What is fiscal hosting and why you need it.
[09:34] Ankita: Call for a 5013c non-profit organization to serve as fiscal sponsor for GOAT 2024
[09:34] Paul W: I need to jump off early today - I’ll ask Regen Foundation and see if it is at least a possibility. Thanks for pushing this forward!!
[09:40] Laurie: awesome
[09:40] Laurie: (governance)
[09:40] Juliet (she/her): Nov 2023 - Foundation Proposal Submission - Google Docs
[09:40] Marcus: Can someone drop a link to that doc? :pray:
[09:40] Ankita: Nov 2023 - Foundation Proposal Submission - Google Docs
[09:42] Laurie: the pics are such a great part of the proposal!
[09:46] Jamie (he/him): thank you for that, Kita
[09:47] Laurie: Time to sign up, people
[09:49] Jamie (he/him): volunteer/recruiter
[09:53] Laurie: Yay Marcus
[09:54] Juliet (she/her): mikah, will PSA go to PASA?
[09:55] mikah: that’s a good question. i’ll need to check in with steven and chris
[09:55] Juliet (she/her): Community Organizer Job Description - Google Docs
[09:56] Jamie (he/him): thank you Ankita for being so amazing and doing all this!!!
[09:56] Vic Spindler-Fox: +100
[09:56] Anna Lynton (openTEAM): :smiley: exciting!!
[09:56] Laurie: +infinity
[09:57] Ankita: and thank youuuuuuu alllll <3
[09:57] Autumn Denny: thanks for the opportunity to come see what you guys are working on :slight_smile:
[09:57] Jamie (he/him): 4 minute mutual thanking session to close out the hour?

Responding to the note on Pasa attendance – I assume we’re talking about the Pasa annual conference in February?
I am sure that someone from Wolfe’s Neck Center will be at this event, but I’m not positive about an OpenTEAM representative. Last year our WNC Research & Collaboration Network Manager and OpenTEAM Comms & Engagement Manager attended. I’m not sure if those same folks would attend, or if we will send others in 2024. Will keep you all posted as we get closer!

1 Like